We’d already said that our fall show at Wesley Gallery will be opening October 10, with a monochrome theme. Here are more details.
Introducing our judge, Carla Ellard
Carla Ellard received her Masters in Library and Information Science from the University of Texas-Austin and a Bachelor of Science in Photography at East Texas State University (now A&M-Commerce).
She has been the Curator, Southwestern & Mexican Photography, at the Wittliff Collections at Texas State University since 2013, where she started as Assistant Curator in 2000. She has previously juried other photography shows for the A Smith Gallery, Seguin Art League, and Texas State campus photography club.
She has also participated in the Valley Land Fund photo contest, and appreciates the patience, technique/skill, and serendipity required for producing nature photographs.
- Submissions due August 29 – that gives you one month
- Judge’s decisions by September 12
- Best time to submit prints is the September meeting, 9/25 – but that only gives you two weeks, so we’ll have to allow for later submissions as well
- All entries should be monochrome. Note that this doesn’t necessarily mean “black and white”. For example sepia-toned images are fine. The point is that they just use one color. The way you acquire the image – whether conventionally, or IR, or whatever, is up to you.
- Basic entry fee is $15, which lets you submit up to 5 images. You can enter more images if you like, at an additional fee of $5 each.
- You must be a member of PODS to enter.
- Email entries to Show@gmail.com. Look for an acknowledgment. Remember, if you didn’t get an acknowledgment, then we didn’t get it.
- As in the past, every entrant will have at least one image chosen to display.
- Unlike the digital show, all selected images must be printed and framed (or otherwise prepared for professional-quality display).
The Fine Print
- Please make images family-friendly.
- Photos that have been shown in past PODS shows are not eligible.
- Entries must be received by the deadline given above, and must be acknowledged.
- By your submission, you authorize PODS to display your image(s) and otherwise promote the show and the club, including possible distribution a video-resolution image in a slideshow video and photobook of the show, but of course you retain your full copyright.
- The specs for submission sizes were causing too much confusion, so feel free to just send in a hi-res jpeg, and we’ll size it appropriately. If you really want to do it yourself, contact PODS.Show@gmail.com for details.
Entry file naming standards
FirstInitial is the first letter of your first name
Lastname is your last name
dash (-) separates your name from image name
Specifications for printing
- We’re looking for a 16×20 matt.
- The size of the actual photo inside the matt is up to you, or just use a 16×20 photo with no matt, but we’re trying to get the overall product similarly sized.
- If the aspect ratio of your image is a little off, that’s OK within reason. Contact the show email if you have questions.
- A reasonably-sized frame, such that the overall size of the whole think is no more than 20×24.
- Alternate presentation types (like aluminum or lucite) are OK, so long as they’re high-quality with a professional look.
- Please put a wire or some kind of hook on the back for hanging.